We can't thank you enough for your prayers, messages, and willingness to help. Lauren and I are exhausted and weary, but if not for all the support we received today, we would not be in as good of shape as we are.
Lauren reminded me today that God has put you in our lives for a reason; we need to rely on the strengths of those around us. Today we received amazing blessings from so many of you. Two of our friends went shopping for us, another brought us dinner, one drove all the way from KC just to be with us for only a few hours before having to turn around and drive right back, two different family members watched McKinley, other family members ran errands and came for visits. The list goes on and on.
We are learning through experience what we've heard before: that God has designed us to live in community with one another, and to love one another. Thank you for showing us that. We thank God for you continuously.
Here was our big excitement for the day:
Feeling your baby's warmth and letting him feel yours is an indescribable feeling.
For the first time since his birth, Lincoln's body temperature is normal. With only a few 100-level cord-wrangling courses, we can now hold him like he's actually ours and not "for display only". Such a blessing.
Here are a two things we're asking for prayers about for Lincoln:
- The big, looming thing on the horizon is his MRI on day ten of life (Thursday). Please pray that any damage the doctors find is minimal. The neurologists can't give us much of any indication of the extent of his injuries until those images are taken. We're mostly in a painfully long holding pattern until then when it comes to Lincoln's brain function.
- On Monday Lincoln will start taking food (breast milk) intravenously. Please pray two things: first, that his stomach would tolerate it, and secondly that it would increase his strength and thus responsiveness to stimulus.
Here are two things we're asking for prayer about for us:
- Today was our first full day since Lauren was discharged from the hospital. To say that it was great and easy would be untrue. Great and hard. Please pray for our emotional and physical strength.
- That Lauren could focus on three things: eating, sleeping, and pumping. Sounds simple; actually heinously hard. (Her to do list actually reads: "Eat, sleep, pump, praise God, repeat").
We are experiencing God and his grace through you, our friends and family, during all of this. While outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day (or however that one goes).
With love and gratitude,
Kevin
Bonus pics from today:
Great idea with the blog! Thanks for keeping us updated and letting us know specifically what we can be praying for! Love the pictures - Lincoln is SO handsome. :)
ReplyDeleteGod is so good! Thank you for keeping us all updated. We have been in CONSTANT prayer for you and will continue to do so. We know you have so much support, but please let us know if you need anything!!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the update! Lincoln is beautiful and Lauren looks fantastic. Your Shriners family loves you all, and is praying everyday for your recovery.
ReplyDeleteAre those some McKinley-style cheeks I see peeking through? Gosh, I hope so. I love McKinley's cheeks. He is a beautiful boy and you look fantastic, Lauren! Praising God for his steadfast love. And asking for continued healing for Lincoln and Lauren.
ReplyDeleteWe are constantly praying for you, and so our all our children. We continue to trust the Lord is holding you. "Do not fear, for I am with you, Do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will hold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 49:10 I am praying this daily for you. Julie Zilkie
ReplyDeleteOh, my. What a beautiful little man you have to add to your beautiful family. God is so good!
ReplyDelete~Angie
Kevin and Lauren- so glad for the blog! I've been wondering what was going on and have been thinking of you guys all week- checking FB for updates every day. All I know is He is good, sovereign and enough. You guys are awesome and I love the pics you've posted. You are in good hands.
ReplyDeleteAwwwww, those photos are wonderful, the blog is a great idea, & you're all in our hearts & prayers.
ReplyDeleteI am praying and believing that "any damage the doctors find" will be NO damage! I know they saw some spots on the first MRI. But I believe God has shown us some things in the spirit that the doctors or an MRI will not show. Please be at peace and encouraged because God is so much bigger than those spots. Perhaps the healing touch of God on someone's brain shows up in an MRI as spots!! Lincoln has been touched by Jesus. I will continue to pray.
ReplyDeleteWe are praying fervently for you guys. We are so grateful for the blog to give us updates. You are cared for and we love you. Lincoln is SO beautiful and Lauren, you look fantastic! I(Katie) am asking and trusting God for a completely normal MRI on Thursday. He will continue to prove faithful to give you what you need for each day. Keep us updated :)
ReplyDeleteFor our God is ABLE to do more than anything we can ask or imagine. Continuing steadfastly in prayer for you all. Thank you for the info / update. Knowing what prayer is requested really helps me continue to bring you before our Lord's Throne of Grace.
ReplyDeleteOh my word he is so sweet! Those cheeks! Praying hard for you. Please let us know if we can do anything at all. We are just a few exits down the highway from Children's. Love you guys!
ReplyDeleteCheeks 2! ;) I love the one of Lincoln sucking on his finger. Thanks for updating us via blogger. Praying continuously.
ReplyDeletePraying for complete healing for the precious little man. Praying also for the Lord to sustain you all and for you to feel His presence, love and strength surrounding you. Praying, Heather Stiles
ReplyDeleteKevin and Lauren, Know that you are in my prayers as well as on my church's prayer list. If you need ANYTHING please let me know. I am only a phone call away. Praying for strength,love,and guidance for you in the days to come. Praying and Blessings, Kim Monken
ReplyDeleteLauren and Kevin, So beautiful to see Lincoln in your arms. I know they've been aching for that. Continued prayers and love. Ellen
ReplyDeleteRead this passage this morning and wanted to share it with you:
ReplyDelete"I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord."-Psalm 27:13-14
This will be my prayer for you as you wait for Lincoln's MRI results. That you will take heart and be strong. Thank you for showing us your examples of seeing the goodness of the Lord!
My love and prayers go to the entire family. I sit here with tears in my eyes at the beauty of little Lincoln; what a dreamboat he is! Love the finger in the mouth and the family pictures. So happy you were able to hold him and send your strength directly to him. Please know I am praying and will add your four requests to my list. Sisul
ReplyDeleteYou have been in my prayers from the day I heard. This is a blessing to us all that God is the only healer and that all blessings come from Him.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the updates via the blog. I will be checking it often! You are all in our daily thoughts and prayers. We would love to bring you a meal (or 2, or 3, or...). If someone is "coordinating" meals, please let us know. Little Lincoln is a beautiful baby and, Lauren, you look amazing and SO HAPPY in these pictures. We are wishing, hoping, and praying for the best on Thursday's MRI scan. Sincerely, Julie, Chris, Henry, and Louis Seyer
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing the wonderful pictures (Carla passed along your blog link). What a sweet baby boy! Lauren, you look fantastic! Know that we are praying for baby Lincoln and your family.
ReplyDeleteSam, Tara, Carson, & Darren Huff
Kevin and Lauren: At Evangelism on Monday night at my church, we "put" Lincoln in the circle of our prayer and touched and agreed that God is able. We are asking for total healing because "In Him we move and have our being". God has instructed us to "pray without ceasing". That is what we do. God bless you very much. Charlotte Ijei
ReplyDelete